View Single Post

Old 11-23-2020, 01:22 PM

Liked 483 Times in 197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biku324 View Post
I started rifle reloading with the 30'06 back in the 70s. It's easier than handgun cartridges.

Every '06 I used to own shot exceptionally well with 165 grain BT bullets and 48.5 grains of IMR 4064, anf standard primer.
Long hiatus before I got back to reloading bottleneck cartridges. For a long spell I had been reloading straight wall pistol cartridges: 32 S&W Long, 38 Special, 44 Special, and 44 Magnum. And, I must admit that I had gotten spoiled. Ok, so with bottlenecks, especially with military brass, and if they are going to be shot in a semi-automatic, you need in my opinion to use small base dies (don't ask me how I know this little tidbit!), and after resizing (use plenty of case lube - to avoid having the case stuck in the die - don't ask me how I know this little tidbit!), then check your overall case length; I found they were all out of spec by quite a bit. So, get out the trim kit, and trim them down. Next chamfer the case mouth. Next swage the fire out of the primer pocket. Then when all that has been done, add powder and carefully seat the bullet (making sure it is in spec for overall cartridge length).

Other than that it is easier than re-loading pistol rounds. Or as a buddy of mine used to say, "Other than that Ms. Lincoln, how'd you enjoy the play?"
The Following User Likes This Post: