View Single Post

Old 11-23-2020, 10:27 PM

Liked 2,520 Times in 795 Posts

Today was either fix the jeep or drive the M1009 to the mountains to shoot the gun. Decided to drive to the mountains. On my way home, about half way home, the truck bucked once... About ten miles later it bucked a couple more times and died. I pulled off, popped the hood, and seeing nothing amiss I tried to start. Fired right up, so I set off towards home again. I got about five more miles and it died.

I managed to coast down the big hill to the Hood Canal Bridge at idle and it died on the bridge a few hundred yards across. Repeat that six or seven more times and I was on my side of the bridge and it died. I was able to restart but the road ahead had no shoulder and it wasn't running for more than a minute or so before quitting, so I called it.

First time in my life I've ever had to call a tow truck. I was still $200 away from the driveway so that hurt, but there's nobody close that can come tow-strap me home- and braking with the motor off is scary anyway.

The Combat Master shoot wasn't as good as I'd hoped either. I was getting regular failures to extract, and the brass has extractor marks. I'm leaning towards a timing issue? All the Triple-K mags worked fine, as did the stock mag, but most weren't holding the slide open after the last round, and sometimes the slide would lock back with one round still in the mag. The best performing mags were the Wilson 47s. All in all I fired 50 rounds of hardball and a handful of HSTs and the gun ate them equally well.

At this point I'm not sure if I want to troubleshoot the gun or find an expert.

EDIT to add: I forgot to mention the accuracy. The gun was shooting (such as it was) one ragged hole patterns at about 18'. Brass throw was somewhat erratic and I only found about ¾ of the box of empties. One was 22' back and to the right, but most were about five feet behind and five feet right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tow.jpg (80.9 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by Mainsail; 11-23-2020 at 10:37 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: