View Single Post

Old 11-24-2020, 09:51 PM

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeplorabusUnum View Post
Yesterday and today I cast some bullets and tried shake and bake again, as well as spray gun PC to compare. Even though the shake and bake is clearly faster, I just don't like the results. The powder coat is uneven, and I can't seem to figure out a way to get smooth even coverage with that method. With spraying, it's automatic. The shake and bake when run through the sizer leaves flakes of powder coat all over. The sprayed ones hardly any. The ultimate test will be shooting the two batches to see if there is any difference other than cosmetic. If not, shake and bake is the way to go no matter what they look like.

Waste is not a big issue for me with spraying because I lay down a large paper target inside a box. When I'm done, fold it up sweep it back into the powder bag.

Today I tried something new and that is setting the bullets on tin foil to spray, eliminating the nail jig. It worked great. After the powder coat is applied, I transfer to a parchment paper covered tray for baking with a small surgical clamp. Powder stays put, no gaps, no clumps and I can do twice as many at a time. They really turned out nice. I can almost double the output compared to the nail jig method, and still come out with a great result.

Anyway, keep us posted on your PC journey.
The trick with s&b is not to use too much powder, use high quality powder, not HF & use air soft bb, preference seems to be black, but green ones worked for me too. It yields a pretty even finish, not spray quality but I am shooting them into dirt after all, dont care.

Last edited by fredj338; 11-25-2020 at 01:00 PM.