View Single Post

Old 11-28-2020, 09:55 AM

Liked 2,846 Times in 1,265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpowder View Post
I didn't say not to lube. I said to lube very sparingly. One single drop on sliding surfaces, bearing points and linkages is more than enough.
If, for example, you put your 1911 on full auto (let's say that's possible for experiments sake) and run 1000 rounds through it in long bursts, then yes, the metal will wear faster without oil. But galling and friction-wear will NOT occur during a pistols normal operation and even less on wheelguns.
I see people bathe their guns in oil all the time. That is asking for trouble (unless it's for the purpose of long term storage).
Galling was a pretty well known problem amount automatic pistol manufacturers at one time. I know AMT and others experienced issues in their stainless guns in particular.

My primary disagreement with your comment was that gun metal against gun metal doesn’t cause wear because there’s not enough heat and oil doesn’t help. Wind and water can both wear metal and that’s not just a heat issue. Heat certainly speeds things up, but anytime two objects rub, there will be wear to some point from friction. Lubrication will certainly help.
The Following User Likes This Post: