View Single Post

Old 11-29-2020, 04:18 AM
US Veteran

Liked 1,653 Times in 599 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat3340 View Post
I did NOT go out for the very reason you cite. I'm not taking any chances with Western Washington DAs; if someone is in the house they've broken in and I'm in a better position for self defense. Plus if there's more than one I don't want to be in a position of being outside and not knowing where the bad guys are. At least inside they either come in the door or try a window, but I know the entry points.

And my strategy is to hold up in the bedroom, put my wife in a closet with 3 walls; call the sheriff; and wait from concealment behind the bathroom wall, looking at the door. I have a light on the gun but the bedroom is at the end of a 15 ft. hallway that I make sure backlights anyone coming into the bedroom, which is in the dark except for a bedside clock, so I can see them but they can't see me.

Question: Does anyone plan on a "password" for the sheriff? If someone were knocking at my door after a 911 call, how can I be sure it's really the police? I figure on giving the 911 dispatcher a sign and counter sign for the arriving LEO; and although it might confuse things, it seems like a good idea.
You don’t need a password, just stay on the phone with the 911 telecommunicator until LE arrives. I’ve had occasion to knock on doors in the middle of the night and the resident called 9-1-1 before answering. I always thought that was pretty smart as Communications knew where I was at and what I was doing. Better to be safe than sorry.

I got so tired of people asking me if they could shoot an intruder and drag their body inside. (Sure, they have a word for people that do that, they’re called “inmates”.)

IMHO, the best policy is to not shoot someone if you don’t have to. That rule got me through 40+ years of LE service.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: