View Single Post

Old 11-29-2020, 08:56 PM

Liked 12,671 Times in 3,375 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpg View Post
I’ve found that less is more in terms of oil on my 1911’s. A drop of sewing machine oil or other light machine oil on the frame and slide interface (one drop total) is plenty.

An additional few drops of oil on an old t shirt to wipe down the exterior after any handling is also a good idea.

A couple ounces of oil is enough for many years.
1911's like to run well lubed, so do nearly all weapons with steel or aluminum frames and steel slides.

The caveat here is that if it a part rotates it should be oiled and if a part slides against another part it should be greased.

That approach has worked well for me with various 1911s, Hi Powers, CZ-75s, M1 Carbines, M1 Garands, M1A, Mini-14s, AR-180 and AR-180B, Galil, L1A1, SKSs, AKM, AK-74 and a few others I've probably forgotten.

I treat my AR-15s a little differently - well oiled, no grease, but still run "wet".

---

My revolvers are just lightly oiled. Basically oil it and then wipe off any excess, so the part still has a shine but no visible oil. That works as it leaves sufficient oil in the recesses to lubricate the rotating parts, and there are for all practical purposes no sliding parts, where the parts are under pressure.
The Following User Likes This Post: