View Single Post

Old 12-13-2020, 05:04 PM

Liked 34,018 Times in 3,680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB57 View Post
See, this is where things have gone off the rails.

The "survivalists" and preppers with their "SHTF" rifles have co-opted the term by association.

The discussion used to be based around a light, compact, easy to stow and carry rifle that could be used to help you survive in the wild by enabling you to hunt small and medium game while you either await rescue or walk out to civilization.
I'm inclined to agree that there is a difference between a survival firearm and a SHTF weapon, although their may be situations where the line is fuzzy.

A survival firearm may have different requirements based on region of the country you're located in and the geopolitical situation, i.e, city, suburban, rural, or remote.

For me and my location, I'm thinking I'd more likely experience a failure in infrastructure and since I consider my area rural, the survival description from BB57 above is as good a description as any. As a result, I think I agree with many who have already posted that a good .22LR rifle fits many of the needs, and as already noted by several it's hard to beat a Ruger 10/22, especially the takedown model. I know my 10/22 Takedown LITE has proven to be quite accurate and reliable and the screw on HTA SS suppressor would prove to be quite handy as well.

I used to would have added that with a .22LR you know ammo would not be that difficult to come by, but I think we've proved that's not necessarily true any longer.

*Survival Rifles*   Got One?  What's yours?-ruger-10-22-lite-27-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger 10-22 Lite 27.jpg (79.8 KB, 247 views)