View Single Post

Old 12-20-2020, 08:27 PM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorer951 View Post
Whether or not the thumb safety on the M&P is "completely superfluous", or unnecessary is surely debatable.

The problem is that if my M&P has the lever installed, or is fitted with one from the factory, it want it to work as it should. That is, I fully expect the lever will stay "on" or engaged when the I want it to be on, and "off" or disengaged when I want it to be off. This was not the case, on my particular example. The lever could be moved up or down with the slightest effort, sometimes inadvertently.

This defect (my opinion again) is the first thing I noticed about the M&P Compact when I removed it from the box and did the required safety check on the gun.
I completely understand your point. However, this opens the question, how is it intended to work? What if S&W intended it to be super easy?

To me, a device like this works if it stays on under normal circumstances. I have an M&P .45 with a thumb safety. I have carried it for weeks at a time and never found the thumb safety to be inadvertently off. I can whack the butt on a table and the thumb safety doesn't fall out of safe. That's good enough for me.

Even so, the point is, even if the thumb safety were to be flipped off, the gun is still inherently safe.