View Single Post

Old 12-30-2020, 12:10 PM

Liked 5,902 Times in 2,543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfyre841 View Post
I've seen a lot of posts saying the performance center still to this day provides excellent refinishing services with full and complete disassembly to the smallest bit and pin with further inspection and replacement of any small parts that need it. What have you heard to advise against them?
I've seen those posts, too; some of the re-blues look nice in pictures. Nickel seems to be something they still do well; stainless, too, though bead blast or high polish isn't too difficult.

What isn't clear is if the Performance Center is doing its own bluing using traditional methods, or the inferior method now used on all current S&W blued revolvers. Run a search here to read more about S&W's new bluing and relative inferiority in both appearance and hardiness, particularly in relation to common gun cleaning solvents.

It is unlikely PC gets to do its own bluing method distinct form the rest of the shop. Personally, I'd rather go with a guaranteed good outfit for traditional bluing and S&W is not that anymore.

As to the PC inspecting and correcting spec issues with a revolver in their care, some good reports that way, and it's a nice sometimes feature; mind you, it isn't a promised service and doesn't always happen.

I sent (within the last five years) a revolver in for a warranty issue and they corrected some incidental endshake, gratis; I appreciated that. But they also sent the revolver back failing to index properly, which had not been an issue when sent in. I'd have rather corrected the endshake myself with a shim than had to pay a qualified gunsmith to determine and correct why my just returned from the Performance Center revolver was suddenly shaving jackets unto locking the cylinder up after just a few rounds at the range, which it had never done before.

Sure, I could've called S&W, let them know, maybe gotten it squared away on their dime (and timeframe, whatever that may have been), but honestly I didn't want them monkeying with it any more than they already had when I knew I could get it done right going to a trusted shop.

I can understand wanting to with the factory, in general and given your recent experience, and perhaps you will and perhaps it'll go well -- I'd be happy, if so. But the S&W that is today is not the S&W from when your Model 58 was built, and I'd take it to folks who know how things were done when that 58 was new.

Whatever you do, good luck and let us know how goes.