View Single Post

Old 01-02-2021, 11:18 AM

Liked 1,082 Times in 293 Posts

Captain, you mentioning Level III holster reminded me of a funny that happened to me. As one of the Rangemasters, besides training and qualifying officers, I also did Beta testing and evaluations of firearms and equipment. In the 80s, Rogers holsters came out with the first Level III holster (Safariland later bought out Rogers to acquire the design).

I was given a test sample to use on patrol with my 59. It was radically different from the jacket slot border patrol we used for them. It was a jacket slot design, that had the loop portion screwed to the body with three screws in a stud (important for later!). Being new equipment, I knew I would have to acquire new muscle memory. I did probably 200 presentations of the weapon before I used it on the street.

One afternoon I was on solo patrol east of the business district. Dispatch put out a BOLO for a vehicle that was just stolen. It was the vehicle immediately in front of me at the stop light we were stopped at. As the light changed, I notified dispatch I was following the vehicle, and to send back up for a felony stop. (Not being a cowboy and wanting to stop a car jacker by myself!). As we cruised down NE 8th St, he had apparently seen me talking on the radio. He jammed on the brakes and jumped from the car and took leg bail (which was still in drive and drove into a curb).

As he did this, I threw the patrol vehicle into park, as I notified dispatch of location. I jumped from the vehicle, adrenaline pumping to pursue. I tugged repeatedly at my 59, trying to draw it. Apparently I did not create sufficient muscle memory, as my brain was saying "border patrol holster!' The adrenaline, however, overcame and I tore the holster off the belt loop shank! I now had a pistol encased in leather in my hand....

After being the butt of many jokes in the training division, we stayed with border patrol holsters...

Last edited by imarangemaster; 01-02-2021 at 11:47 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: