View Single Post

Old 01-03-2021, 11:17 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 3,912 Times in 1,196 Posts

Here's how I did it for those of you who asked. I considered this my "learning" gun to sort of see if I could make my mistakes and learn from them.

I did do the sanding down to 320 grit. I did not burnish with a wire wheel. I cleaned all parts with acetone. I used nitrile gloves while cleaning and putting on solution. I used the Pilkington's solution. I think their instructions say to put two coats of solution on before you do the first rusting. I did not as I didn't have the directions in time.

A friend created sort of a hanging rack made out of PVC pipe that I put in the bathtub (which I filled about 1/4 way with hot water) - hanging the parts on with wire. I then closed the door. Checked back in 2 hours. SOME rust on the parts. I put them in boiling distilled water for about 5 minutes.

It seems like on YouTube, everybody does it different. Some people say scalding water, some say boiling - some say pour the water over the parts, some say just dip them, some say boil for 5, or 10, or 20 minutes.

I always wore cotton gloves (got a big package of 50 like jewellers use) to handle the parts and used a large and small carding brushes bought from Brownell's.

The second round, I tried something additional. I did everything the same as the first round, but put a space heater in the bathroom with the hot water in the tub. When I checked in 2 hours, it was 90 degrees and humidity extremely high in the bathroom. Gun parts were WAY better rusted. I decided to leave the parts in boiling water for 10 minutes this time.

I repeated this 3 more times. The smaller parts were getting darker, faster than the frame and cylinder.

I'm generally happy with how it went for a first attempt on a "test" gun. I do wonder if I had put 2 coats the first time...and had used the space heater if the first coat would have been a lot better (and made the whole job better).

Last edited by jmace57; 01-03-2021 at 11:24 PM.