View Single Post

Old 01-04-2021, 09:15 PM

Liked 1,721 Times in 630 Posts
Default Collecting Plastic Pistols??

I've been thinking about my "collecting," especially my S&Ws, both pistols and revolvers.

And I have a couple of questions:

1. Back in the "day" were folks buying Smith pistols (1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen [or any others ala BHP or Colt Gold Cups]) as simply the best "tools" available for LEO work, or hunting, or self protection, or competition; or for the future as an investment? And why or why not?

2. How about today? I wonder the breakdown of people buying metal pistols/revolvers as an investment or collectors' pieces, versus for actual use (again, LEO, hunting, self-protection, etc.)

I know from my own purchasing that I wanted an example of all three generations of Smith pistols, in 39, 59, (and 69), plus 40 and 45; and 38S&W, 38 special, .357, and .45 in revolvers. I never bought (read could afford) collector grade guns, but took great joy in amassing them in shooter grades.

But I wanted most of them for actual shooting or carry (CS9, 4513TSW, 4013TSW, M&P .40, Shield). I've never considered buying, say, an M&P as an investment.

So here's the big question:
What do folks think about whether people are buying plastic pistols (M&P, Sig 320, Glock, etc.) for anything other than actual shooting? Are folks buying, say Glock 19s, and putting them in the safe, complete with packaging and papers to sell in 5 or 10 years. (Or, who was smart enough to buy a couple of Pythons 10 years ago to store in order to reap the goofy prices they are going for now?)

In other words are peoples' attitudes towards buying different today than they were 20 years ago...or have we always just bought the most modern thing to use, took good care of it, and luckily now find they are worth more and more.

I just buy stuff I like and could probably get by with 5 or 6 handguns -- a smallish 9mm, a medium sized .40 and a regular sized 45; instead of the bunch-a-guns I have in the safe. (And could probably forego the .40)...same with revolvers: J-frame, 38 special ala model 10, and 4" 357.

Wadda ya think? Is anyone "collecting" plastic?