View Single Post

Old 01-07-2021, 12:58 PM
US Veteran

Liked 14,349 Times in 5,471 Posts

I had a multi-year effort to find the "best load" for a 45-90 Sharps and learned not to rely on other peoples or company's data. It is a combination of style of gun (semi - bolt - pump - single shot), barrel length, powder brand, powder weghts, bullet design, bullet hardness, bullet diameter, sorting out best velocities for the gun's rifling turn rate, shooting distance, etc., etc., etc.

Way to many variables to just grab someone else's data. I can be sure that no listing contains even half the background information needed as listed above. It can be a long journey to accuracy for almost every gun a person owns and often ends in the shooter deciding a particular load is just OK.

I went through at least 6 different powders and countless powder weights, many different bullet designs and weights, several lead bullet hardness readings, and finally can reliably shoot out to 400 yards, consistently hitting a 12" steel plate with simple peep sight. I am certain that my best load is found nowhere in published data sets. Now on to 600!!

Last edited by glowe; 01-07-2021 at 12:59 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: