View Single Post

Old 01-09-2021, 02:21 PM

Liked 5,581 Times in 1,955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McShooty View Post
Gentlemen:
I would like to ask the good guys here to give me a rundown on the issues and what a handloader does to get good ammo. Also, ideas on what model would be the best.
When I found a new unfired 25-5 I already had several 45 Colts. A Virginian Dragoon and several Rugers - a Blackhawk, a Redhawk and a Vaquero. I was unaware of the Cylinder Throat issue, but found out quickly after researching how to improve its accuracy.

My goto bullet was a 230 gr. 0.452 because it was a common item for my .45 ACPs. Based on this site I bought a box of Penn cast bullets sized to 0.454. That solved the problem. While I was waiting for those rounds to be used up I bought a Lee mold for a 255 gr. RNF bullet. Water quenched and unsized they mic out at 0.454. Those provided the best accuracy of all.

To my surprise, my new "25-5 Only" rounds provided better results in all of my other revolves as well. So, I dropped the ID and that is now my standard target round for them all.

My 2 favorite handguns are the Blackhawk and the 25-5 and I would rate both of them as "best" The choice would simply be based on single or double action. The Vaquero is also a fun gun to shoot. After dialing in the 25-5 I sold the Virginian and I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. Personally, if it ain't a Ruger or Smith revolver, it ain't anything...
The Following User Likes This Post: