View Single Post

Old 01-10-2021, 03:50 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 355 Times in 64 Posts
Default HP 28-2 NYSP Questions?

Hair Trigger,
Agreed on the turn-line, it does have an almost imperceptible turn line and the recoil shield looks like a NIB gun.
One thing I've noticed over the years is this - Turn-lines are a derivative of cylinder stop stud surface prep. I've had guns with low round count where the turn-line looks like it was cut with a grinder, but I've had others with high round count and virtually no turn-line. Upon comparison, surface prep (polished / no burrs) of the cylinder stop seems to be the key. I've seen them over-worked to the point where lockup is compromised and I've seen them with burrs large enough to resemble a milling tool.
I'm guessing that this gun was tuned by the NYSP ammoror or personal gunsmith, because the trigger breaks like glass at 3lbs. and the cylinder stop is perfectly polished, but only in the exact spot where it contacts the cylinder (pic included) resembling other tuned guns I've seen from best-in-class gunsmiths.
Questions -
Were there guns (during this period) that came from the factory with more attention to detail? because they were for NYSP or an important individual? The finish on this HP is 25% better than any other HP I've seen.
I've read (here) that non-matching stock #'s were also common at agencies where multiple guns may be on the bench at the same time. The RH stock on this one doesn't match the gun, but it's only off by a hundred or so.
Thanks to all for the feedback.
Jason
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28 NYSP Cstop.jpg (59.5 KB, 79 views)