View Single Post

Old 01-12-2021, 10:24 AM

Liked 4,269 Times in 1,042 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair Trigger View Post
I think it's a valid question, seems like the go-to for CC and SD are semi's of one sort or another. I like semiauto's, specifically 1911's, but I've dealt with revolvers much longer and have come to prefer them after walking on the dark side for several years. Not to say I don't carry a semiauto any more, but I'm carrying a revolver much more than I used to, and lately more often than a semi.

Capacity doesn't mean all that much to me, or not as much as it used to, as I have come to the conclusion that if in a situation where I need more than 12 (full cylinder and a speed loader), I'm not making it out anyway. I try to take a preventative attitude, which is, if it's going to take more, just don't go there. If TSHTF, then I have what I need for that scenario, I'll have more guns hanging off me than Carter has little red pills, but for simple SD and CC, my smallest wheel gun will do. As for new revolvers being less reliable, or poorer quality, I wouldn't know. My newest revolver is from 1980, and I've not had any function issues with any of them. I have, on the other hand, had a few with a couple of newer semiauto pistols, so given that, I should feel more comfortable that my revolvers won't let me down in a crunch. After all, a couple of hundred years of myriad police force use has pretty well proven they are dependable.
I'm not concerned with capacity much. I'm also not talking about older revolvers (which seem to be much more likely to work right). Back when LEO's carried revolvers, that's all there really was (bad guys usually only had them too).

The *new* revolvers seem to be the problem. I pay 800-1,000 bucks for a new revolver, and I might get one with a hairline crack in the steel, a wheel that won't turn or will possible seize up.

I agree with you on the older models: more care and attention seem to have been given to them because they were the only game in town, and they knew that LEO's would be relying on them. Not so much anymore.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: