View Single Post

Old 01-12-2021, 02:16 PM

Liked 5,581 Times in 1,955 Posts

I started shooting bullseye when I joined a club in 1971. Used a High Standard H-D Military for a while and got a basic handicap. In 1972 I bought a 7 3/8" Model 41 for 100 bucks. It was built in 1967. Improved my score and it ran 100% with any ammo.

Then came marriage and kids and a demanding job, so I had no time to compete any more. When I saw a deal on a Single Action Army .45 Colt I traded the Smith.

I always sorta wished I hadn't let the 41 go, but truthfully I probably wouldn't have shot it much any more. At my age I can't see the target and sights simultaneously, so I'm just a plinker now. The semi .22 I like the best of all ever is my new Ruger Mark 4 SS Target. I have a Reflex sight mounted on it and I can (almost) do as well as with the 41. Of course its with a 2-hand hold and if I deliberate too long I wiggle a bit....LOL.

Anywhoot, if I were in your position I'd buy a Mark 4 Bull AND a Mark 4 Fluted long barrel target, and still come in under the cost of a 41. As far as accuracy, either one is better than I am, and the reliability is 100%.