View Single Post

Old 01-12-2021, 04:32 PM

Liked 619 Times in 156 Posts

Gentlemen,
I'm sorry to revive this old thread instead of answering while it was ongoing.
As a German, I have plenty of experience with Geco ammo (over the past 35 years). Geco has some reputation as an ammo maker, but in fact their quality varies, esp. regarding their handgun ammo. What is sold as Geco at this time, is partly made in Germany, partly made in Hungary, made somewhere in EU, but I don't know where exactly. Often with obviously cheap materials - when I want to get rid of Geco cases, I throw them into the scrap metal bucket, because no one wants them for reloading.

I had .357 Magnum ammo with nickel plated cases back in the 80s, where one out of five cases split. I had some .38 Special ammo with coated lead RN bullets that would not group at all, no matter which gun. The cherry on the cake was a destroyed S&W Model 65 on our gun range about 5 years ago (luckily no one was hurt and I was not present at that very moment, but was involved in the aftermath): The shooter loaded 6 rounds from a new box, fired 5 shots which all hit the target and at number 6 the gun went more bang than expected, throwing two halves of the cylinder sideways and parts of the top strap upwards into the ceiling. I spoke to the ammo people at Geco (and their parent company of RWS) who told me that it must have been an overpressure rate of more than 6000 bar (don't know how much psi this is) to achieve this destruction. But they never found out how so much pressure would fit into a .357 Magnum case...

To cut a long story short: I'm quite sure the event with the stuck jacket is ammo failure.

best regards from Germany
Ulrich