View Single Post

Old 01-14-2021, 02:16 PM

Liked 246 Times in 108 Posts

Thanks again for the replies guys. I think Ia.redneck is spot on with his assumption. I took my other 52-2 apart and there is no sign of lead in it around the end of the chamber using the borescope. In fact the two barrels from my 52's are noticeably different in finish work near the end of the chamber. One is sort of course in appearance and the other quite well finished. One appears to have more of a transition from chamber to leade and the other quite abrupt. The one with the lack of transition is the one that creates the lead ring. So I agree with Ia.redneck that this lack of "chamfer" if you will, because it is nothing but an abrupt shoulder, catches some lead as the bullet exits the case.

So the next issue that was mentioned is how does the gun shoot. Well at 69 years old that's an interesting question. If I shoot both from a modified two hand bench rest hold they do very well almost equal. I can squeak out a ten round 1.5 inch to 2.0 inch group at 15 yards, on a really good day sometimes a bit smaller. In reality at my age I am happy with the way both guns shoot. My days of driving tacks at 25 yards one handed are long gone. I am more concerned with what causes this ring of lead to occur and how to eliminate it and make my cleaning easier and truly clean and eliminate any possibility of pitting to occur under the lead ring. I wonder if the not so well finished barrel could be throated to give it a smoother transition area? And in all honesty, unless someone looks at their barrel via a borescope I doubt they would ever know this buildup of lead exists.

As a last resort, if I can't find a cure for this issue, is to send the gun to Clark and have them install one of their new made barrels and see what happens. In the meantime I will do what I can or is suggested by you fine folks.

Rick H.

Last edited by Rick H.; 01-14-2021 at 02:23 PM.