View Single Post

Old 01-15-2021, 03:53 AM

Liked 14,845 Times in 5,048 Posts

I shoot my 52’s a lot, mostly on paper of course but I also plink at empty 12ga hulls at 12-15 yards. Once each year, it goes with me on a 3-day prairie dog hunt and I’ve taken a half dozen of them.

It’s rare that I clean the bore. While I’ll pull the slide from the frame, clear out all fouling and lube and assemble, I don’t fuss over the bore and I like to keep the bushing where it is at.

I’ve used Bullseye powder exclusively. 90% or more of my bullets have been old school Star 148gr swaged HBWC, I came across a massive lot of them and I bought many thousand.

I’ve made some ammo with the Precision Delta swaged HBWC and they worked well. I’ve also tried a few of the famed Remington bullets that are recently available in 100 count bags packaged and branded by Black Hills. I found the dirty to work with, expensive and ACCURATE! But I don’t plan to buy more.

I have some old stock Hornady swaged HBWC, the ones with the powdery white lube. (mica?) I’ve only just begun to explore those.

Of the three 52’s I have, one is a safe queen and the other two get a lot of love. I haven’t noticed any drop off in accuracy and I certainly don’t own a bore scope.

I don’t do anything out of the ordinary when it comes to my handloading process for this ammo. I tend to use R-P brass because across the board, I’ve always found R-P brass to be the thinnest.

I am happy to report that I simply don’t have function failures with the two 52’s that I shoot, and I shoot ‘em a lot.