View Single Post

Old 01-15-2021, 10:02 AM
US Veteran

Liked 6,888 Times in 2,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4barrel View Post
The barrel may need a shorter link. You should be able to remove the barrel bushing first to release pressure. It will probably be ok after a couple hundred rounds.
No barrel bushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
When you eliminate the barrel bushing, you have to use a reverse recoil spring plug and that means you have to hold the slide retracted against recoil spring pressure while you install the slide stop. This is something that can be quite difficult and the heavier the recoil spring, the harder it is to hold that slide retracted to the exact spot where the slide stop will drop in and keep the barrel link in a position that will allow the slide stop pin to enter.

Some full length guide rods do have a cross drilled hole that allows you compress the recoil spring and you insert a small pin or even a paper clip into the hole to keep the spring compressed. This can make reassembly easier.
This pistol's action is identical to my Ruger SR1911 (it's 10mm, also), and has a much stiffer spring than a .45 due to the higher recoil. It's almost impossible to take down or reassemble without using the little tool (paperclip) to hold the spring in tension while the slide is removed, but is a piece of cake with it. On a new gun, the slide lock retention pin and the slide lock lever have no wear on their contact surfaces and are difficult to move against each other; a drop of oil on the retention pin during reassembly will help them snap in place. Once you've taken the gun down several times, it will get easier. You should press the slide lock lever straight in past the retention pin, rather than rotate it, as shown in the video, because you're likely to create wear on the frame finish below the retention pin. Doesn't hurt the gun, but the wear mark will show. See picture below, this is my Springfield .45 I bought used; I didn't do that.

I have two bushingless 1911's, and have come to like the takedown better than the one with a bushing, even though it requires no tool. Paperclips are all over the place, throw one in your shooting bag or your pocket if you're in the field and need to take the gun down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC09181 (2).jpg (124.8 KB, 18 views)
The Following User Likes This Post: