Thread: Building a 52
View Single Post

Old 02-15-2021, 04:44 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 5,588 Times in 2,179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
JohnHL, this is WAY too easy since it won’t cost me a single dime to throw down the gauntlet, but prove it. I think you are way out in the weeds if you tell us that you could get a Model 59 frame to feed and function with .38 Wadcutter ammo in a gun you built with a 52 top end.
My dear honorable Forum Brother Sevens, I respectfully beg to differ...

The talented and prolific Dwayne Charron (for whom I am unfit to carry water) and the team at S&W were able to make a model 39 frame feed and function with the .38 wadcutter and we all know that the model 59 frame is simply a model 39 with a widened magazine well.

Modifying the magazine (tweaking the feed lips, possibly staggering the rimmed cartridges) would seem to be the biggest challenge.

Quote:
Now since it is (most likely) your customer service frustration that has fueled your post, I have no problem giving you a pass on the idea that you could actually make this work and agree that we are simply having fun with the subject...
I must agree that I was somewhat frustrated by my week long travails with the cellphone racket and its toadies.

But I am also dismayed by the lack of support when an O.P. posts a notion and it is immediately shot down by the "intelligentsia".

I say, "Bravo. Go for it." and may practicality be damned!

Quote:
...but on a serious note, I am half shocked that you are professing no interest whatsoever in any 52 when we both know how much respect you have for Mr. Dwayne Charron, and the 52 is with no doubt his most fantastic single accomplishment at S&W, where he certainly had many.

For that reason alone, I’m a little perplexed at the tone of your post.
Dwayne Charron is one of the very few "heroes" in my life, based entirely upon his accomplishments.

However, it's my maddening (to others) ability to compartmentalize (heavy on the "mental") that allows me to simultaneously appreciate the engineering and craftsmanship that went in to the design of the model 52 and yet, have no interest in its niche.

On a similar note, I built many specialized motorcycles and ATVs for a variety of uses (motocross, flat track, drag race, road course, custom, street cruise, touring, etc.).

I enjoyed building and riding them, but my passion was always for building large displacement street rockets that would handle, stop, start easily, idle, and pull like a Saturn 5 out of a corner.

No mean feat.

That particular subset of motorcycling may also suggest my passion for combat handguns.

Quote:
The S&W Model 52 and it’s descendants have a magic and an aura to them. It’s my opinion that if a handgun lover were to handle one and be lucky enough to shoot one and came away unimpressed in every way, that person needs their head and heart checked.
No argument there.

As I earlier related, part of my frustration was due to a week long immersion into the piracy of the cell phone business and its lackeys.

All week long it had been "bait and switch" by the c/s (make that b/s) folks.

We were told that while we qualified for the discounted service, "internal problems" dictated that we could only get the much more expensive plan.

Last night, when I had finally had enough, I sent a rather pointed e-mail to the CEO of the difficult company.

Within 15 minutes, one of his subordinates was on the phone with my wife, acquiescing to the lower priced plan we had originally chosen and GIVING us one of the two new smart phones for which we were previously willing to pay.

Like I said, I can make things work!

John
The Following 3 Users Like Post: