View Single Post

Old 02-16-2021, 10:49 AM

Liked 26,374 Times in 9,141 Posts
Default travail loading 357 Sig!

About 18 or 19 years ago I got a great deal on a Sig in 357 Sig. I ordered in 1000 once fired brass & a set of Lee steel dies. I let it sit. At the state wide shut down last March, I ordered in 1000 124 Berry's FP thick plated and they took a month to get here. So last night I started to set the dies up on the Dillon 550b. The Lee dies are so short that only a half thread will catch in a lock nut, but even then the Lee nuts won't work.

Then I started for fine adjustments, The decapping stem is fussed into too short of position, the permanent decapping pin is too short to clear the primer pocket, and there is some reason the case won't even enter the seating die! (it is a little late to be returning them!)

At this point, I will be ordering a group (as opposed to a set) of Dillon Carbide dies. It will be $15-20 less to order loose dies than the set. Now all I will need to do is wait out the backorder!

I inherited 5 sets of much older Lee dies from a friend that went on to the shooting range in the sky, and they were not a whole lot worse the old Lyman "All American" series or Herter's dies from the 60's. But these Circa 2003 Lee dies are pure junk! There are some Lee Products I like, just not their die sets!

Ivan