View Single Post

Old 02-18-2021, 11:02 AM

Liked 6,317 Times in 2,296 Posts

These days the only one I have is not a Makarov but is chambered for the 9x18. I have a FEG PA-63. A pretty good poor-man's Walther PP.

As it came it had a pretty horrible trigger pull and snappy recoil. A spring kit improved the trigger pull tremendously but gave unreliable ignition with the usual steel case import ammo. They must have super hard primers. Reloads manufactured from converted brass and primed with American primers (Federal, Winchester, Remington) are 100%. I was having a problem with ignition when firing DA but that turned out to be a mechanical issue that was easily fixed.

I also added a heavier recoil spring, the heaviest one Wolf had, and it reduced the felt recoil considerably. Still functions 100%. It does make it harder to rack the slide though but not really a big issue for me.

I bought a box LRN cast bullets that I use most of the time and a modest stash of Hornady XTP bullets for more serious use. I don't really shoot it a lot.

It's a shame Hornady has discontinued both the bullets and the ammo, but you still see some new old stock every now and then.

All of this is kind of a lot of work but I did get the gun on the cheap and I find it interesting. I'm sure most would find it impractical and find an easier option.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: