View Single Post

Old 02-20-2021, 10:18 PM

Liked 3,186 Times in 897 Posts

My wife and I belong to two ranges, one small outdoor pistol range ten minutes from the house and another thirty minutes away. The one thirty minutes away has two each skeet and trap ranged and a clays range. There’s a very nice indoor, 1000yd, plunking, steel plate, competition Rimfire and 200yd bench rest. There are also 10 action bays and a 100yd 3 gun range.

My wife and I go together once a week and I may go another time and sometimes twice. During a typical day the number of people have dropped probably 70% and most often now people only stay a short time. It’s also very common for the people on the plinking range to be someone teaching friends to shoot. Usually they limit the ammo shot to 50 rounds.

On the steel plate range you used to hear folks blasting through hundreds of rounds but not now. You might hear one person blast through 30 rounds but that’s it and they go home.

When my wife and I go we take either lever action 22’s, single action 22’s, an occasional 317 or 617 and rarely our 22 semi autos like our Victory 22 or Mark IV. We shoot together at a dueling tree, poppers and swingers and what I’d call fun targets. Between us me may shoot 150-200 rounds of 22.

When I go by myself I’ll take a precision 22 rifle, 1911, SA Blackhawk, Lever Gun in a pistol cartridge or similar. I usually shoot 50-60 rounds.

After about a hour of shooting We’ve had enough to satisfy until the next week.

I’m not worried. After the last crisis I laid in plenty of everything. I counted the inventory a week ago and have enough 22 ammo for two years and enough loaded centerfire ammo for more than a year and enough components for another couple years.

I’m more concerned now with politics hampering us and I’m not losing sleep over that. As I’ve said before if things get really nuts as far a supplies or politics I’ll buy a couple of air rifles and shoot in my back yard. I have a big backyard with a high wooden fence and shoot my pellet pistol at steel regularly.

Last edited by .38SuperMan; 02-20-2021 at 10:25 PM.