View Single Post

Old 02-21-2021, 01:30 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 37,025 Times in 4,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protected One View Post
Though I carry a gerber folding pocket knife every day (as a utility tool), I admit to not knowing much about knives. When I took my concealed carry class the instructor recommended getting a "quality knife", like benchmade, but I couldn't justify the price.

Now, many years later, and seeing how some knives lose their edge quickly while others aren't as durable, I would like to know 'what determines a quality knife? Which maintain their sharpness the best, and - not anticipating needing it as a fighting tool...which do you recommend?
Price has become much less a factor for me.
Thanks everyone!
First of all IMO what determines a quality knife is USA made. Not made somewhere else by a USA company. One of the saddest stories is Schrade going out of business in their 100th year. They had 3 generations working there at the same time. Schrade now is Taylor Cutlery out of TN. Made in China, like S& W junk. Also made by Taylor cutlery.

Now that I am past that, a folder has to be locking IMO. For folders I go on Ebay and find SP2 Schrade lockbacks. If you know how to sharpen, they will shave your arm. Benchmade and Kershaw also make some folders that will take a razor edge. Personally I could never get a Buck knife to maintain an edge. Gave all of mine away

So for me folding is Vintage Schrade USA lockbacks, also Kershaw, Switchblades are Microtech , Benchmade and Piranha. Fixed blades are standard USN issue Ka-Bar fighting knife.

Sorry for the rant
The Following 3 Users Like Post: