View Single Post

Old 02-21-2021, 03:04 PM

Liked 399 Times in 197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandog View Post
I've had 2 left hand Ruger Scouts. The first was an early production one and had bad bolt galling issues.
By the time I got the second one, those galling issues had been cured.

Mine is very accurate for a shorter barreled rifle. Factory loads would do 1 1/2 MOA or so, but my handloads got that down to 3/4 MOA.
My general purpose load is the Hornady 168 gr. Amax with IMR 4064 in new Lake City (Federal) brass.

I ditched the metal "boat rudder" mags right away after I bought some of the polymer mags.
The poly mags are:
Lighter
Cheaper
Easier on your fingers (no sharp edges)
Don't stick down as far for a given capacity
Can be top loaded in place
Quieter
More durable as the material flexes and doesn't bend if dropped.

I mounted a Nikon 2.5-8x Force XR in Warne Q.D. rings.
It usually stays at 3x but I have the ability to zoom higher for longer shots.
Sling is a Galco Safari "Ching" split sling, but 2 point attachment instead of 3 point.

I don't get guys that buy a GSR, then mount a scope over the action, might as well buy a .308 Hawkeye and save a few hundred bucks.
The detachable box mag springs to mind first and foremost. The "scout rifle" as initially envisioned is an outdated concept imo. Modern semi autos, and modern optics allow for accomplishing all of its objectives in a more efficient manner. Modern variable power optics can easily be ran both eyes open with a super forgiving eyebox in a traditional mount over the action. You can get a true 1x-8x with and illuminated reticle. This keeps the weight of the optic from beige further forward. Ive ran my 308 scout rifle with both set ups, and traditional mount lets me get on both close and far away targets faster, while still maintaining both eyes open.

I like the ruger, butI don't care for ther weight of the gsr. Given the opportunity I'd probably swap it for a 308 ruger American in a Magpul stock.

Last edited by seldon14; 02-21-2021 at 03:10 PM.