View Single Post

Old 02-21-2021, 08:23 PM

Liked 4,624 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k22fan View Post
Protected One,

I can't recommend a knife without knowing at least the general type that you like. Maybe you assumed we'd recommend a modern one hand opening single blade but those are not every one's cup of tea. I seldom even carry a knife with blade lock. Multiple blade shapes benefit me more than blade locks do. Locks are a little uncommon on multi blade knives. Used as a utility tool locks are frivolous but if you prefer a lock say so.

The one thing I did get out of your question is you prioritize edge retention. That makes the question which blade steels stay sharp longer. Blade steels with as high a carbon to iron content as milling machine cutters have great edge retention at the price of being harder to sharpen and if they're thin enough to be good slicers they snap when the ignorant use them for pry bars. There's no magic steel.

Please give me a little more to work with.
I've grown accustomed to the assisted opening feature and would hate to lose that. Primarily, the knife is used for random cutting: packages, twine, zip-ties, etc. Never as a pry tool (that's not safe IMHO).

Things I have already eliminated?: Karambit knives, and Spyderco (I tried a friends and could not get use to opening with the hole). Nothing against the brand.