View Single Post

Old 02-22-2021, 11:21 PM

Liked 4,190 Times in 1,865 Posts
Default Reloaded primers and stainless steel handguns

This is as much a thought provoking PSA as it is a serious question.

I have been intrigued by the idea of reloading primers in light of the current shortages. While the process appears to be tedious, the cost to reload a thousand primers could be less than the pre-COVID price of a thousand primers. The immediate red flag that many desperate reloaders may miss is that these primers are corrosive! This, in concert with the next potential substitute, lead to the question at the end.

Another shortage induced remedy that could be employed by a reloader desperate for reloading components could be the substitution of either Pyrodex or Hogdon's 777 in 3Fg formulation in non-magnum loads. These powders tend to be advertised for their minimal cleaning after a shooting session.

My question is, what would the effects be of the corrosive nature of either or both the corrosive primers and/or the black powder substitute powders on a stainless steel handgun? Remember, in addition to the salts left in the barrel, you will have salts spread by the powder plumes at the muzzle, and either cylinder gap (revolver) or ejection port (semi-auto) during the ejection process!

I can envision a large quantity of stainless steel handguns (promoted for their need for minimal cleaning) destroyed by the use of substitute primers and propellants!