View Single Post

Old 02-23-2021, 11:33 PM

Liked 168 Times in 64 Posts
Default Re: 4506 holster

If people like plastic hardware that’s great. I’m not trying to convince other people to use the same kit that I do. Everyone has different preferences and circumstances.

There are two reasons I avoid plastic hardware on shoulder holsters.

The first reason is that I don’t trust it. I’ve been issued rucksacks and gear with the supposedly indestructible milspec plastic buckles only to have them crack at inopportune times. Ever been in desolate Northern Afghanistan and had your night vision pouch closure buckle snap off? I have. It hadn’t been smashed or abused, and I suspect the temperature swings had some causal role. That’s not the only time I’ve seen plastic rucksack hardware snap. I am willing to pay more for a holster with metal hardware that I will have confidence in for many years.

The second reason I don’t buy shoulder holsters that suspend heavy pistols from plastic is the style. I don’t see any reason to pay $200 for a Galco holster if I can pay only slightly more and get one made with metal hardware. (Although after the Mitch Rosen thread informing people how good his products are the prices might rise!) It looks better, it matches the traditional leather material of the holster body, and it looks nice as it wears. It’s the same reason I prefer blued or stainless guns to the black Duracoat that some manufacturers use. Yes the Duracoat works (CZ makes some terrific functional guns) but the blued finish expresses the investment of craftsmanship that Duracoat doesn’t in my humble opinion.

If someone enjoys their different preferences they should keep doing so. My opinion isn’t better or worse than anyone else.

Last edited by Dan Zulu; 02-23-2021 at 11:34 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: