View Single Post

Old 02-24-2021, 11:24 AM

Liked 2,094 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2 View Post
I polish, not stone, the tops of my cylinder stops. I use a fine Cratex rubber in a rotary tool to give a mirror shine to the tops of my stops(or bolts?) and use same to break any sharp edges along the top. Unless the thing is worn out, you will not remove any material that would affect the dimensions of the part. And it minimizes the ringing on any of the guns, I also do it on other revolvers. If someone is a total knucklehead they could use the wrong tool and remove material or damage the part I suppose. Watch the YT videos about the bozos that try to polish their barrels with a sanding disc, etc. But this is safe. I also use Cratex to polish up feed ramps in autos. All you need is some common sense.
Very important. You do NOT want to remove any material to change the dimension of the bolt. I've had problems with over stoned bolts on an old Colt, and it would skip out of the notches on fast double action firing because the bolt itself was compromised from stoning.

The leading edge of the bolt that contacts the edge of the notch to stop the cylinder must be left intact and sharp shouldered so that it can make full contact.