Thread: Model 69 44 mag
View Single Post

Old 02-25-2021, 01:00 PM

Liked 6,034 Times in 2,972 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte Smitten Wesson View Post
For the life of me, I still cannot fathom the rationality behind carrying a 10mm Auto over a .44 Magnum when the average bear charges much too fast to reliably even get off a second shot, much less more than 5 shots, ergo the additional capacity of a Glock 20 is effectively worthless for the role of bear defense.

If I only have enough time to get off one shot, maybe two if I'm lucky, then I'd rather carry a .44 Magnum and not have to shop for overpriced boutique loads to feel confident in the cartridge's ability to get the job done.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that 10mm works just fine for bear defense, but the ammo capacity of 10mm Pistols over .44 Magnum Revolvers is a moot point, and if the TC wanted to carry a 10mm Pistol then he wouldn't be here asking about a .44 Magnum.
The assumption is that you would not stop shooting just because a bear is chewing on you. The current line of "Experts" is that a striker fired auto is going to be quicker to continue engaging than a hammer fired revolver. The likelihood that a gun may not go into battery because the slide is contacting tissue or that something will obstruct hammer or hand isn't considered heavily.
My take is just be really good with what you carry. That is all you can control.