View Single Post

Old 03-07-2021, 09:46 AM
US Veteran

Liked 10,655 Times in 3,388 Posts
Default KCPD Pre-War .357 Magnums Purchased During 1939/1940 (Finish Condition - A Survey)

Looking at the pictures in post# 72 more closely now is generating more questions than answers and this gun is becoming something of a mystery.

Previous information I had on serial number 59676, which I took from an 8-24-2010 post by bettis1 here on the Forum was as follows: SN 59676, Reg. # 5066; 4", Originally blue, now nickel; Humpback hammer; ramp FS; returned to factory on 2-48 and 4-52.

The gun was examined by bettis1 in 2010 at a Dallas, Texas gunshow and was still essentially in its original KCPD configuration except that it was nickel.

The gun pictured in post 72 above was purchased by the current owner at a gun shop in Ada, Oklahoma in 2016. The factory letter with the gun is dated April 2014 and addressed to an individual in Rowlett, Texas. The gun has little in common with an original KCPD configuration. The replaced barrel is 3.5” (instead of the original 4”) and as pictured now the “matching” serial number in the barrel shroud is certainly not factory. Also all 250 KCPD Magnums in the shipment with serial number 59676 originally shipped with a Hump Back Hammer, but this gun now has a standard hammer. Additionally, based on further pictures and information received from the owner, the cylinder and yoke have also been replaced. However a picture of the butt serial number from the owner, shown below, looks like a legitimate factory stamp to me as compared to my 59384 which I know is legitimate and also shown below.

The owner of the gun pictured in post #72 told me he sees no evidence of a previous nickel finish. He also sent me a picture of the left side grip strap; the markings in the area where rework dates are stamped have been mostly obliterated so I cannot tell if the rework dates of 2-48 and 4-52 mentioned by bettis1 were ever there.

At this point it appears there are two possibilities: (1) there are two guns with serial number 59676/REG 5066 in existence, or (2) Bubba did extensive work on 59676/REG 5066 between 8-24-2010 and 2016 including replacing the barrel, replacing the cylinder and yoke, replacing the Hump Back Hammer, removing the nickel finish, and doing something unique in the cylinder stop area.

I will provide an update if/when I get further conclusive evidence one way or the other. In the meantime I am going to list the gun twice in my survey to preserve the historical notes but count it only once for statistical purposes.

**********************************************************************************************************

Final update on serial number 59676/REG 5066: Dr. Jinks advised that this serial number and registration number were NOT duplicated by the factory. Therefore this gun was reworked again after 2010 and the renickel finish was removed.

Last edited by lestert357; 04-06-2021 at 10:29 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: