View Single Post

Old 04-04-2021, 08:24 AM
US Veteran

Liked 9,263 Times in 2,384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muley Gil View Post
Yes, that was our policy too. Whenever someone retired, got promoted or quit, we had a badge change. I started with badge #43 and 23 1/2 years later, when I retired, I was badge #3.

I started with Tuesdays and Wednesdays off. I had most of the other combinations as well before I got Friday night and Saturday night off (working the 11PM-7AM shift). When I went to evenings (3PM-11PM), it took a while to get Fridays & Saturdays off.

My first LE job was as a deputy jailer. I worked a rotating shift-a day shift, a couple of evenings and a couple of night shifts-followed by several off days. I wound up with a weekend off about once a month or so.

Many cops worked part time jobs. There was one period in my life when I had 2 or 2 part time jobs and worked every day of the week. I had to take a sick day from the PD to get any off time.

When I went to Kosovo after I retired from the police department, I was assigned to patrol at a small police station. I worked rotating shifts again, but they were backwards. I worked a night shift, went home and came back for an evening shift and then came back for a day shift. The fun began when you went home from a day shift and then came back for a night shift. Now that was a killer! On top of that, it was a 1/2 hour drive back to where I lived. Sleep a little bit and then another 1/2 hour drive back to work. Did that for about 4 months and then got a day shift assignment.

I was Badge 52 when I hired in. We worked rotating shifts of 3 days, 3 afternoons, and 3 mids. Hard to get a good sleep rhythm doing that.

We eventually started a sign up procedure where you got pick of shift and days off by seniority. During summer, especially, the younger guys had a chance for better days off and vacations to help equalize things.
I liked working mids with Fri. & Sat. off. Didn't like afternoons so much due to a lot of juvenile calls, which I didn't like.

Got weekends off when I was assigned to the Det. Bureau, and when I went back to Patrol after getting burned out in the DB, I got weekends off. Finally ended up as the Court Officer for my last 3 years getting lots of overtime and weekends off. The overtime really boosted my Pension take home pay.

Made more money on retirement than while working.

I too worked 2 or 3 part time jobs and went to College also. Missed seeing the kids grow up, but money was tight for awhile, so I had to do it.
Would I do it again. Yes, but not in today's society. I feel sorry for anyone wanting a career in Law Enforcement these days.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: