View Single Post

Old 04-05-2021, 08:06 AM
US Veteran

Liked 9,305 Times in 2,631 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiregrassguy View Post
They didn't call us The Silent Service for nothing. Check YouTube for the TV series.

Guy
One of my favorites, along with every submarine flick ever produced, anywhere...I once stopped off at Muskogee War Memorial Park in Oklahoma to visit the USS Batfish...From their website:
Quote:
Due to the damage from the flood that occurred in May 2019, guests are currently unable to board the USS Batfish.
I was also unable to board, but for a different reason...I had paid the fare for my tour of the boat, but when it came time to descend the ladder into the depths I couldn't make my feet move while looking down into the below decks area...It seems a long-suppressed fear of tiny places had surfaced in my brain, and there was no way I was going down there...The volunteer crew offered to refund my ticket fee, but I told them to just keep it as a donation...My landlubber's hat is off to anyone who ever served in those cramped quarters...

At the Nimitz War Museum (now the National Museum of the Pacific War) I was amazed at the tiny size of the captured Japanese midget submarine on display there...They would have had to shoot me and carry my lifeless body aboard to get me in there......Ben