View Single Post

Old 04-06-2021, 12:14 PM

Liked 9,151 Times in 3,380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muley Gil View Post
I believe that is the regular .357 cylinder rechambered to .41 Magnum. The .357 Maximum revolver was built on an elongated large (.44 Magnum) frame. The cylinder would be too large for a medium frame conversion. The overall length of a .41 Magnum cartridge is 1.60". The overall length of a .357 Magnum cartridge is .1.59".

The Old Model Blackhawk revolvers had recessed cylinders already.
The 357 O/M Blackhawk cylinders are not recessed,,at least all the ones I can recall seeing.
The other calibers on the O/M Ruger design have recessed chambers AFAIK.

Something is going on there. With recessed chambers, I'd bet it wasn't a rechambered O/M 357 cylinder.
That's unless of course Ruger did use the feature in some production of the O/M 357, then I'm wrong about my guess. That's happened before!

The front face of the cylinder looks extremely close to the inside edge of the frame window as compared to a standard 357OM Blackhawk . That's what made me think the longer cylinder was fitted.
It may just be the angle the pic was taken too.

IIRC on the O/M 357 I worked on recently the distance from the front face of the cyl to the inside of the frame window was .080 +/-
A longer cylinder can be fitted w/o mod the frame within the .080 distance of course. Additional room can be gotten from opening up the window a bit. too. A little here and there. Easy on a SAA and the Ruger frame is pretty stout.
The Ruger O/M 357 cylinders are 1.600 +/- OAL non recessed length.
That's just the cylinder body length itself, not inclu the ratchet or the front bushing.