View Single Post

Old 04-07-2021, 08:15 AM
US Veteran

Liked 4,464 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM-BAM View Post
Mec-gar about 2 years ago started making 15 rd mags for the Beretta 92 Compact (13rd was factory standard) and 18rd mags for the full size 92s.. Right now everyone is trying to grab as many hi-cap mags as they con. These 15rd.Compact mags are still available for < $30 last time I bought some .... 2-3 months ago.

There are a lot less 92 Compacts around than Model 39s.......my guess if the Country as a whole went <10 rounds you'd see the price of 39s go up even more and Mec-gar meet the magazine demand.
Beretta is currently manufacturing 92 Compacts. S&W stopped making a single stack that uses 39 series mags prior to Y2K.

You folks thinking it is easy for Mec-Gar to make mags. LOL

The tooling costs alone will make it unprofitable. The Model 39 is not a in demand gun in the general sense of the market. They aren't stocked at FFLs across thr country or at your local Base Pro, Academy, Big 5, or Cabela's. It is a used collector's piece and a fairly smaller niche gun at that in collector circles. It isn't like a Luger P-08 or a 1911 that is popular world wide. Mec-Gar has a world market to support.

Mec-Gar is an OEM manufacturer and right now, the Beretta 92 mag body is used in a number of different guns. The 92 Compact magazine is simply a 92 mag, cut short. There's no additional investment for them. So they make it. Same reason why they made the XD9 magazine and magazines for the Canik, and other guns. They all use the 92 magazine body.

If making Model 39 mags were profitable, S&W themselves would be making them right now and they aren't. That says something.

I have five 3906 mags for my Model 909 nd I consider myself lucky. But I understand why things are the way they are.

Prices are up for three reasons.

Scarcity of product
Increase in demand
No profitability for nee manufacturing

But the people buying Model 39 mags aren't the masses. It is a small dedicated group of folks. No different than HK collectors. Try and find a SL7, Model 770, or SLB 2000 ten round mag right now? You'll consider it a deal if you can find one for $250. Why no aftermarket? Because those guns are such a small niche market, there isn't any profitability in making new mags.

While demand is up. It isn't high enough for a company to make new mags and make a profit off the investment costs.

Lastly, the idea that the country will abide by a new AWB like we did in the 90s under Clinton.

Not happening. Americans are far more open to civil disobedience now. Additionally, gun grabbers aren't going to be done and leave folks with guns under 10rds. They'll go for those too. Look at NY with the SAFE Act. They originally tried to cleave it down to 7rds.