View Single Post

Old 04-07-2021, 02:52 PM

Liked 4,804 Times in 1,536 Posts

Hi,
Are you planning on shooting it in 2700 outdoor matches, ie: at the 50 yd line for slow fire? If so, you will need to very carefully prepare and test your loads. Just saying "use this powder with that bullet" is not load development. You need to sort cases by make and even lot number. Trim length is critical, as is primer choice and seating depth. Your choice of dies (internal dimensions) is critical. The exact bullet and it's exact alloy and lube is critical.
A lot of people make claims about accuracy without having done exhaustive and/or objective testing.
The M52 can be very accurate. But, don't expect it to be so, especially with handloads, without doing a lot of work.
I posted a very enlightening (and rigorous) test done by Gil Hebard back in the 1960s. He loved the M52, but did not sugarcoat things. (See post #3):

So, What's Up With Clark's Replacement Barrel for the Model 52-2?

A very good friend of mine used his M52 in 2700s for all the years I knew him. He could never get out of Sharpshooter classification because his CF scores were always 50-100 points less than his 22 and 45 scores. In part, this was (I always suspected) due to his reloading practices. He usually used Zero swaged HB WCs, which is a great bullet, but used mixed brass. In part, it may have been the difference between the crisp trigger on his 22 and 45 vs. the roll trigger on the M52.
One more thing, give some thought to spare parts. The M52 is, after all, long out of production.
They're beautiful guns, feel great in the hand, and have nice sights. Just keep the questions in your OP in mind.
The Following User Likes This Post: