View Single Post

Old 04-08-2021, 03:32 PM

Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
Wasn't the whole point of shooting 38 Special wadcutters in pistols was that nobody had figured out how to set up an 38 Super chamber to be as accurate in the 1950s/60s? 38 Super is easier to set up magazines for reliable feeding and now there are good bullets/loads, different twist rate barrels and tighter chambers for 38 Super.

I can see 38 Spl WC in a Sig/Hammerli P240 for countries that may restrict 38 Super as a police caliber.
Last year at a CMP Regional, the Match Officials were desperate to have enough shooters to add an additional leg. I am not Distinguished, and it turns out, because of my awfulness, I am loved.

I wanted to go home, I can't shoot irons, but the Match Director convinced me to shoot and he let me shoot a 900 point match for free, and gave me a 38 Super M1911 with ammunition to shoot. How could I say no?

The 38 Super had a very mild recoil, went bang, the bullet went downrange more or less in the direction of the target. I don't know why the Match Director does not shoot it more often, but he shoots his 45 ACP Rock River 1911.

Incidentally, he had a squib load in February. He was shooting an outstanding score in practice, concentrating really hard, when he was distracted by individuals who wanted to go down range. He had a failure to eject, but did not inspect the tube. Then, to get that last shot off, quickly, he aimed, pulled the trigger, and bulged his barrel.