View Single Post

Old 07-24-2021, 10:02 AM

Liked 12,659 Times in 3,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bro. Dave View Post
I believe they are still an excellent choice for carrying, especially decked out with an SFS and new barrel, trigger group, and a few other goodies from BHSS. I carry one every day, as a matter of fact.
I’m a big fan of the Hi Power and in particular the SFS Hi Power. It resolves the mushy safety issue, is very comfortable in concealed carry given that the hammer is “down” in Condition 1, and in open carry the “hammer down” appearance in Condition 1 carry doesn’t scare the citizens like Condition 1 does in a 1911 where the cocked hammer is raised.

The SFS system also resolves the hammer bite issue for the small minority of Hi Power shooters who have issues with hammer bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSteve View Post
I was never taken in by the mystique of the Hi Power, especially after hearing from users in the UK military. The above list of "things that need replacing" reinforces my skepticism about the design.
I’d take a lot of that with a grain of salt. For example I attended OCS in 1985 when the Ms were just rolling out. The 1911A1s we had at the time were worn out and not too impressive. The same was true for many of the M16A1s that were still in use.

The point being unless those users in the UK were older than dirt, they probably didn’t have experience with Hi Powers that were in great condition.

There’s also a certain amount of prejudice among older troops against most weapons that were in service when their grandpas wore a uniform. It could be perfect and they’d still find flaws with it.

You’ll also find younger shooters and soldiers who are more familiar with tactical plastic and don’t understand that you can’t run pistols like the 1911 or Hi Power nearly dry like you would a Glock.

——-

I own three Hi Powers including the factory original FN SFS Hi Power above. All of them are accurate, extremely reliable, point well and hold up very well in service.

Last edited by BB57; 07-24-2021 at 10:04 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: