View Single Post

Old 07-24-2021, 10:16 PM

Liked 58,919 Times in 9,675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmroscoe View Post
I am an older lady who bought a S&W 380 Bodyguard 2 days ago. This evening I took it out into my lakeside yard and fired 3 times. The casings fell in front of me as I was told they would. The fourth is who knows where because it was at this point that what I later learned was the take down pin fell out and is now lost in the bracken. I called the store (Academy Sports) and was told there are no returns and to call Smith & Wesson. Is this gun even safe to use? Seems to me that a brand new $400 gun should work. I'm glad I was not in the midst of a crisis and trying to save my life with this thing. Any help as to what to do next would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sorry this happened. When you bought it did you strip it down, clean it, lube it and then reassemble? Maybe you did not reassemble it correctly. Or if you just took it out of the box , loaded it and started shooting maybe the pin wasn't correctly positioned to begin with. The reason I post these observations is because my M&P 380 has been flawless. The taledown pin is a bit tricky at first but once one realized that it needs to be rotated almost all the way around at which time it pops out, it is really very easy to take down and reassemble.
As far as Academy not taking the gun back-they have a big sign that states that all sales on firearms are final and if there are any issues you take them up with the factory. Pretty standard with all the big box stores. Which is why one examines the gun carefully before purchasing. Which is why I do not buy guns from the big box stores unless they take the trigger lock off the gun and allow me to inspect and cycle the gun. In the past, at some of the smaller stores, they would pull out all 4-5 they had in stock and allow the customer to pick the one he/she wanted. I never bought the display-I made them go pull out one in a box-and then I would inspect it carefully-if I saw something I didn't like-I'd ask them to get another. If there was not another, then a decision would have to be made. To buy or not to buy-that was the question. Alas that is gone forever at least down where I live.
Don't give up on the M&P380 just yet-it is a fine weapon, one which I have full confidence in.
Oh. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by CAJUNLAWYER; 07-24-2021 at 10:18 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: