View Single Post

Old 08-16-2021, 06:51 PM

Liked 2,773 Times in 1,260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvsurgshooter View Post
I have reloaded a bunch of 9 mm brass using 231 Winchester powder 4.1 grain, small pistol Remington primers, with 9 mm 124 grain Berry's round nose, OAL 1.162 on average and yet after crimping, many will not fit in the 9 mm Wilson gage. Some do and yet some do not and I do not understand why when I am using the same technique. Is it due to the fact that the brass I pick up is varied and some are Federal, some RC, etc?
The one on the left seems to have a very subtle bulge and the one on the right fits perfectly in the Wilson gage.
Would appreciate any suggestions
Thank you
Are you using Lee dies, by chance? If not, read no further.

I struggled mightily with varying case lengths on some mixed brass a while back.

Sparing you the gory details, it came down to differing pressure required to seat bullets in the mixed brass and my Lee dies. The seating stem has a rubber o-ring which would compress more or less depending on how hard it was to seat the bullet and gave me varying OAL.

You said "OAL 1.162 on average" They should all be the same. I went back to the RCBS dies and the problem went away.

I am not beating up on Lee dies. In that particular case, they weren't the right tool for the job.