View Single Post

Old 08-17-2021, 12:53 AM

Liked 8,918 Times in 4,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo288 View Post
I think that is mostly true for any specialty magazine.
I quit subscribing to gun and motorcycle mags after a few decades when I realized I was reading the same things over and over.
The only one I currently get is "Handloader" which has gotten thinner but still has some things of interest.

One of the better story tellers was Skeeter Skelton.
But with him you knew which were serious and which were strictly for fun.
If you don't have his books, you are missing some great gun lore and some hilarious yarns.
I think there are only 2 hard-cover books by Skeeter.
His stories of just walking across the border into Mexico in search of Colts to rebuild are from an era long gone
as is the state of border patrol in general.
He was the one who convinced me to get revolvers chambered in 44 special instead of shooting them in magnums.
Definitely a good move.
A gun writer I truly do miss.
I read Skelton articles from the time he began writing in the '60s, but was never much of a fan. While he would occasionally do a pure "gun" article, many weren't. I never found the "tales" to be worth much and I realize I'm in a minority position with such an opinion.

You mention .44 Special revolvers...there are exceptions to every rule. The article Skelton did for SHOOTING TIMES ( a once great publication that suffered an equally great deterioration) in the early '80s when Smith & Wesson introduced the 24-3s was truly a memorable article regardless of who wrote it. This was certainly among Skelton's better works; pure "gun" as I recall, but it's been a long time.

Had to have a 24-3 after reading the article but these were hard to come by when they were introduced. I finally found a new 4" from a distributor in Alabama in the fall of '83. Still have it along with a couple of other 24-3s. This has been one of the best cast bullet revolvers S&W ever built. Had it not been for Skelton's urging, we would likely have never seen S&Ws re-introduction of this revolver.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: