View Single Post

Old 08-18-2021, 02:30 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 925 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvsurgshooter View Post
many will not fit in the 9 mm Wilson gage. Some do and yet some do not and I do not understand why when I am using the same technique.
Welcome to the world of range brass and it's nothing new. I shoot competitively and use nothing but range brass/once fired/whatever you want to call it, Lots of it. The problem is not your dies and anything your doing in so far as them not fitting the case gauge. The problem is you and I have no knowledge as to what type of chamber these rounds were fired in prior to us. Unsupported chambers (some Glocks) and LEO full auto will bulge the brass at the base and most of the time you can't even see it. But sure as heck it don't go. These rounds may or may not work in your gun depending on your chamber. A plunk test will reveal that. My CZ's are extremely tight whereas my 1911's not so bad. But one out of spec round will lock me up on a competition costing me a lot of time clearing the weapon.

I became very tired of this and was also finding many rounds in 9mm and especially .40 would not pass the case gauge and that leads to breaking down a lot of shells with that dreaded plastic hammer. My solution, and it wasn't cheap was to rollsize all my brass. However I shoot a lot and obviously reload a lot. Rollsizing eliminated all my issues! I too tried undersized dies and they helped, but I still would see 5 rounds out of 50 that would not pass. If you are collecting brass fired from your weapon only, then you will have better results out of the gate.
Rollsizer.mp4 - Google Drive
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40.jpg (79.5 KB, 22 views)
The Following 2 Users Like Post: