View Single Post

Old 08-31-2021, 09:08 AM
US Veteran

Liked 9,882 Times in 4,114 Posts

44-40 brass is a pain to load and your dies have to be set up just right or crumpled brass will be the end result. I would probably destroy two or three cases with every set up before I could get them just right every time I screwed them into my press. The problem was solved with the Lee Collet Die. I set my seating/crimp die just to make contact with the brass, then adjust my OAL, then run the batch. I then use the collet die to crimp and have no lost cases.

Lots of negative stuff about Lee Collet Die, but I will say it is the only thing that works for me. I have been experimenting with 240 grain 44 Mag JHP bullets and can improve my accuracy with a Uberti Model 1866 substantially using jacketed bullets. I found that my 3 die reloading die set will not put a proper crimp on copper plated bullets and they would move as the gun is shot. Problem arises because the 240 grain bullet is too long and if crimped at the cannelure, the cartridge will not work in the elevator.

Next I tried to push the bullet further in the case, but at the max OAL for the 1866, the crimp is above the shoulder, just above the transition from flat to rounding, and I could not get the standard dies to do the job of crimping. The Lee Collet die solved the problem perfectly. I can adjust the die to produce a solid crimp that stands up to a full magazine of ammo with no movement of the bullets.

I am now shooting with much more accuracy than lead, and with zero problems. At the price of under $20 on ebay, this all steel die is absolutely worth purchasing for all 44-40 levergun reloaders.

Taper crimp for .44/40?-p1010001-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001.jpg (108.2 KB, 112 views)
The Following 3 Users Like Post: