View Single Post

Old 09-01-2021, 01:16 PM

Liked 2,784 Times in 1,263 Posts
Default Problem loading 45ACP with cast bullets

I would appreciate anyone else's experience loading cast bullets for 45ACP.

I'm starting to reload for 45ACP and having a problem with my rounds chambering. Looking around the internet, I'm not alone and I don't see a definitive answer.

Let me just note that I load for 9mm in multiple firearms with my cast bullets and never have had a chambering problem.

The gun is a Tisas 1911 that runs fine with factory ammo.

250 grain NOE cast bullet, powder coated or not does not make a difference. Sized to .452.

The problem is my rounds don't all go fully into battery and tie up the gun. About half of them also just fail going below flush in a case gauge, despite the caliper saying they're in spec.

Diameter at the loaded case mouth being around .471 or .472 in most rounds.

Another forum has a member offering a service to slightly ream the chamber mouth (at the barrel end of the chamber). Anyone who had it done and cared to post about it says it solved all their chambering problems. It seems to me that I'd be modifying the gun to accept out of spec ammo (even if it calipers correctly).

By definition we're making out of spec ammo since we're sizing the bullet to .452.

I'm thinking to get some jacketed or plated rounds and seeing if that makes a difference.

Also thinking about sizing the cast to .451 except I don't have a sizer in that size.

Lee Factory Crimp Die does not solve my problem.

Last edited by AlHunt; 09-01-2021 at 01:18 PM.