View Single Post

Old 09-05-2021, 01:46 PM

Liked 9,332 Times in 3,497 Posts
Default Might want to recheck your sizer die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
So, how does a fixed diameter carbide die deal with the tapered 9mm cases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt_saa View Post
Obviously a carbide ring sizes the cartridge straight.
It brings everything to the smallest diameter, which is the case mouth measurement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm View Post
Yes the carbide die will make the cases straight...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchAngelCD View Post
IMO the taper is so small its nothing to worry about.

I've never claimed to be a historian but I believe I recall reading that the old/original carbide 9x19 sizer dies had just a carbide "ring"?
(Straight wall cartridge carbide sizers only have (need) a ring.)

My oldest 9x19 sizer is all steel.

About 15 years (?) ago I bought a stand-alone Lee 9x19 carbide sizer die to compliment my existing older set.

More recently I purchased a new Lee Deluxe 9x19 set which of course has a carbide sizer die also.

Having never stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, but not believing that modern 9x19 carbide sizing dies make your tapered cases straight, I decided a simple test was in order.

First I removed the center de-priming rod & nut to gain full access to the Deluxe Set's carbide sizer's opening & internal length.

Using my pin gage set I found that the largest pin that can enter the sizer die's mouth is .392", where it's stopped.

A .381" pin can only go ~.210" inside the die before it's stopped by the carbide sizer's insert.

A .371" pin can go ~.409" inside before it's stopped.

A .370" pin will go fully inside & is not stopped by the insert's smallest diameter.

These rough measurements closely mirror SAAMI 9x19 specs.

This unquestionably shows that modern 9x19 carbide sizer die have a tapered internal "insert" that provides the proper case taper (~.011", mouth-base) to the re-sized case, not a straight, no taper, sizing you'd only get with a carbide "ring" only.

Both of my Lee carbide sizer dies have the same features & while these dies undoubtedly make sizing easier you still can feel the extra resistance to full length sizing a 9x19 case -vs- a 40 S&W case because of the full contact at the last of the sizing stroke.

Really all you need to do is measure your sized case with a caliper & you can see the taper.

Last edited by BLUEDOT37; 09-06-2021 at 09:53 AM. Reason: .
The Following 4 Users Like Post: