View Single Post

Old 09-06-2021, 02:32 PM
US Veteran

Liked 3,823 Times in 2,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by giants1 View Post
Thanks. My house has stucco, and so do the two detached houses on either side. The third side is exposed to a hill, the fourth a bay window as a backstop to my hallway, which is where I'm concerned about any ammunition over-penetrating. What shotgun cartridge type(s) would you recommend, given my house's situation?
Anything that is going to penetrate to hit vitals will go through walls and such as well. The best way to avoid the over penetration is to hit what you are aiming at!

The distances that you have mentioned in other posts, 2 to 7 yards, you could go with either #00 buck, #1 buck, or #4 buck. As the numbers get larger, the pellets get smaller, but there are more in the shell. For example, in 12 gauge, 2 3/4" shells #00 buck is going to have 8 or 9 pellets that are .33" in diameter, #1 has 12 - 16 pellets that are .30", and #4 has 21 - 28 pellets at .24". I have an 12 gauge 870 loaded with #00, and two 20 gauges loaded with #1 buck.

Best recommendation is Federal 2 3/4" #00 buck with FliteConrtol. The FliteControl wad keeps the pellets grouped together longer after they have left the barrel to give you a tight group on your intended target. Unfortunately, they are hard to find right now.

If you are worried about missing and shot going through the walls into a neighbors home, use #1 or #4. Disadvantage to those loads as there are not as many choices in defensive rounds as they are not as popular.
The Following User Likes This Post: