View Single Post

Old 09-06-2021, 11:11 PM

Liked 741 Times in 354 Posts

This is quite the thread! Opinions and experiences sure do vary.

At a pre-Covid local show I found an 8 3/8ths 586, a barrel length I didn't have in any model, and wasn't really sold on to begin with. Still, it would be my first L frame so I offered a bit less. He countered only $5 up but I held. He said "You'd walk away over 5 bucks?!" I gave a little laugh and said "I could say the same thing about YOU!" That made him laugh in acknowledgment and we made the deal.

I realized that negotiating is a lot more pleasant when the item isn't something you necessarily really want. Of course now it's grown on me and I've put a nicer set of Walnut target stocks on it.

At an earlier show I made an offer on a 4" 617-4 and the seller made a face like "Oooh, you are SO close!" He then cautiously countered up $5 and I took it home. Now that model I had been pricing and had no intention of walking away without it. I was there when the gates opened and was probably one of his first visitors, so I was a bit surprised he didn't hold out.

Both gentlemen had enjoyable personalities and I felt comfortable in making offers. I still look for them at the shows, not because I think I can get better deals but their friendly vibes made for good buying experiences.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 586d.jpg (234.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 20190223_172902.jpg (111.8 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by toddimusnimski; 09-06-2021 at 11:16 PM.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: