View Single Post

Old 09-12-2021, 12:21 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 29 Times in 7 Posts

I know its been a long time since my original post but I have had some interesting results in my research of the history of this revolver. I just wanted to share this with anyone who may be interested.

According to the S&W historical foundation this revolver was a bit unusual. It shipped in September, 1958 to the Chief Deputy, US Marshal in Springfield, IL, with a heavy barrel, target hammer and target trigger from the factory and only ten of them have been made with that combination of options. After a number of back and forth discussions on the subject, it is their opinion that the patridge front sight was added later by an after market gunsmith.

The son of the original owner of this revolver said his father, now deceased, was an FBI agent who carried it for the rest of his career. He originally had some sort of Colt revolver that he did not care for (reasons unknown). He said he could shoot better with this gun and apparently really liked it because he carried it until he retired.

According to his son, his father had a friend help him order it - perhaps it was the Deputy US Marshall - which seems likely because his father was indeed working in Springfield, IL in 1958.

Offered for whatever its worth….

Stay safe, God Bless…..

Last edited by 1000island; 09-12-2021 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Better explanation in light of earlier posts
The Following 14 Users Like Post: